5 days OF participatory building site. A team of 9 students and tutors from Norway, Spain and Sicily, have designed and built together in the gorgeous garden of Villa Napoli, in the very heart of Palermo.
An urban regeneration work to make accessible and usable the Villa with its beautiful garden, with its majestic ficus magnolioide. An intervention suitable for adults, kids and elderly; all made of larch wood, durable and safe.
The process starts with Awareness through the body activities to understand the place with the whole body. Some exercise of instant sketching, individual or in group, and a focus group discussion allow a collective decision-making. The body is taken as the main reference for measuring the place and visionioning a multiplicity of uses. The building step is conceived as an active process of trial and error starting from the material and the body.
As a result:
- A sittable ramp to enter the pool, to offer a special view to the Villa and the Ficus.
- A relax spot for reading, chatting and taking a rest.
- Two platforms on wheels to wander about the pool, to choose your own point of view, your preferred seat.
- A terraced platform to enjoy the shadow of the Ficus and its crown, seated or flat on your back; to enjoy a storytelling, a voice, a song, a melody.
- A transportable chaise-longue to move around the garden.
ATB activities; instant drawing; focus group; design by doing; evaluation techniques.
- An opportunity of cultural interchange and community building
- Show the supportive relationship between body, nature and heritage
- A collaborative approach to urban planning
- An experience of learning from vulnerable users and taking care of them
AT A GLANCE
PLACE: Villa di Napoli, Palermo
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Marco Terranova (coordinator) Senzastudio; Gianni di Matteo (artistic curator); Benedetta Rodeghiero (tutor), Adrià Mateo (student) EAR; Luca Finocchiaro (tutor), Marco Apki, Havard Auklend (students) NTNU; Isabel Quiros, Andrea Xicota (student) ETSAB; Emanuele Saluzzo, Concetto Vecchio, Alice Palazzo, Chiara Russo (collaborators) Todo
SPECIAL GUESTS: Mirtal, our 1 year old tester
DURATION: 5 DAYS
IMPLEMENTATION LEVEL: 4/4